Education in India : Engineering
Engineering: The Profession
The shape of the modern world has been credited to the advancements in science and technology. The engineering field has been the major contributory factor towards achieving the scientific marvels of today. Engineers work with structures, tools, machines, metals, chemicals, and various different materials, and use their alertness of mind and creativity to innovate new things or bring modifications to already existing ones.
Enginneeing is not so much a career as an expertise, which opens doors into a vast range of jobs. Engineers probably have a wider choice of the environment in which to work, and of type of job, than any other profession. This is because engineering today is not confined to the obvious spheres of mechanical, chemical and electrical but has vast scope in advanced areas such as thermal engineering, ultrasonics, vacuum technology, polymer technology, telecommunication, computers and many more.
|Area Of Work|
There are many fields in engineering. The basic purpose of engineering is to design and manufacture the hardware of life. Engineers also repair, modify and construct efficient and economical products, by applying scientific principles to a variety of solutions. They have a hand in the creation of anything in use anywhere. Engineering has several branches, and often the knowledge in one branch can be applied to many fields. Moreover, in any organization or project, engineers from one field work with engineers and specialists of many other fields as well. Some of the major specilizations are as follows:
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Production and Industrial Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Agricultural Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Ceramics Engineering
- Textile Engineering
- Other Engineering Specilizations
The Work of Engineers
Whatever be their branch, all engineers primarily perform the four main tasks of research and development, production, management and maintanance.
Entry into Engineering Job
To work as an engineer, a candidate needs to have BE/BTech. in the chose field of interest.
Candidates having completed class XII with physics, chemistry and mathematics is elligible to apply for admission to the various engineering colleges. Students can compete on an all-India basis for admission to the prominent colleges like IITs. State colleges of engineering take in students with state domicile, but provide some seats for students from other states.
In some colleges selection is based on the percentage marks got into class XII (in physics, chemistry and mathematics), while some other colleges give admission based on some common test. The IITs administer a Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) for the admission to the seven IITs, The Institute of Mines, Dhanbad; and for the admission to the merchant navy course of TS Chanakya and Marine Engineering Institute at Kolkata.
Engineering Course Duration
BE/BTech. : 4 years
Me/MTech: 2 years
Integrated MTech: 5 years [Gets 2 degrees, BTech and MTech]
- Engineering Colleges in Andhra Pradesh (431)
- Engineering Colleges in Assam (33)
- Engineering Colleges in Bihar (50)
- Engineering Colleges in Chhattisgarh (26)
- Engineering Colleges in Delhi (89)
- Engineering Colleges in Goa (8)
- Engineering Colleges in Gujarat (138)
- Engineering Colleges in Haryana (105)
- Engineering Colleges in Himachal Pradesh (15)
- Engineering Colleges in Jammu and Kashmir (32)
- Engineering Colleges in Jharkhand (23)
- Engineering Colleges in Karnataka (485)
- Engineering Colleges in Kerala (117)
- Engineering Colleges in Madhya Pradesh (1)
- Engineering Colleges in Madya Pradesh (169)
- Engineering Colleges in Maharashtra (556)
- Engineering Colleges in Manipur (3)
- Engineering Colleges in Mizoram (3)
- Engineering Colleges in Orissa (132)
- Engineering Colleges in Pondicherry (18)
- Engineering Colleges in Punjab (108)
- Engineering Colleges in Rajasthan (90)
- Engineering Colleges in Sikkim (4)
- Engineering Colleges in Tamil Nadu (525)
- Engineering Colleges in Tripura (3)
- Engineering Colleges in Uttar Pradesh (241)
- Engineering Colleges in Uttaranchal (44)
- Engineering Colleges in West Bengal (124)
Engineers working in private sector are faily well paid. Most fresh engineers start at Rs. 9,000 to Rs. 13,000 per month with allowances. Those that go on to add a management degree can command a starting salaries of Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 30,000 per month.
In the government sector, the salary range of diploma holders is Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 9,000 per month, and on selection this rises to Rs. 9,000 to Rs. 13,000 per month. Engineers with BTech. degree start on salaries of Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 15,000 per month.