QUIZ ON LIFE AND WORKS OF PROF.S.CHANDRSEKHAR
QUESTIONS PACK 02
PREPARED BY SMT.SELVAMATHY, PGT(PHY), SHRI.VELU, PGT(CHEM) AND MR.K.RAMASAMY, LIBRARIAN
- MICHELANGELO – What role this famous painter has with Dr.Chandrasekhar.
Ans: He gave thought-provoking lectures such as Newton and Michelangelo which he delivered at the 1994 Meeting of Nobel Laureates held in Lindau.
- Dr.Chandrasekhar Was an Honorary member of a famous Institute. Name the Institute.
Ans: International Academy of Science
- Dr. Chandrasekhr was one of the key founders of the Famous Institute at Chennai. Name the Institute.
Ans: The Ramanujan Institute of Mathematics in Madras
- Chandra was offered a chair at a Famous University in 1964 , he replied by return that he was not interested.
Name the famous University
Ans: Cambridge in 1964
- Dr.Chandrasekhar was very much interested in Literature. He has very much interested in Russian authors. Name the famous book he has read written by Dostoevski.
Ans: Crime and Punishment
- Name the President of University of Chicago who appointed Dr.Chandrasekhar as Assistant Professor, in the year 1937.
Ans: President Robert Maynard Hutchins
- ….there is no such thing as relativistic degeneracy
Name the person who has quoted about Dr.Chandrasekhar’s theory.
Ans: Arthur Eddigton , British Physicist who opposed his theory (Chandrasekhar’s limit) in early days of his life.
- (Chandrasekhar] was a classical applied mathematician whose research was primarily applied in astronomy and whose like will probably never be seen again. –Name the British Scientist who has quoted.
Ans: In the Biographical Memoirs of the Fellows of the Royal Society of London, R. J. Tayler wrote
- He was a great scientist, an accomplished teacher and a formidable scholar.
Name the Indian who has quoted about Dr.Chandresekhar in his Biography.
Ans: Kameshwar C. Wali
- I discovered what true mathematical elegance is from Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.” . Name the American astronomer who has quoted this.
- Chandrasekhar was one of the great astrophysicists of our time. He was also the greatest master of the English language that I know.” Name the famous Nuclear Physicist who has quoted this.
Ans: Hans Bethe, A Nuclear Physicist
- It is my privilege and pleasure to convey to you the warmest congratulations of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. May I now ask you to come forward and receive your prize from the hands of His Majesty the King.- This is a part of the Nobel Prize Presentation Speech by a famous Professor. Name the Professor.
Ans: This Presentation Speech is by Professor Sven Johansson of the Royal Academy of Sciences
- What is Chandrasekhar’s limit?
Ans: The value of this limit is about 1.44 times a solar mass. This was derived by Chandrasekhar in 1930, when he was a student. The Chandrasekhar Limit plays a crucial role in understanding the stellar evolution. If the mass of a star exceeded this limit, the star would not become a white dwarf. It would continue to collapse under the extreme pressure of gravitational forces. The formulation of the Chandrasekhar Limit led to the discovery of neutron stars and black hole.
- Name the space shuttle in which Chandra X- ray observatory is deployed?
- What is Chandrasekhar’s number?
Ans: It is an important dimensionless number of magnetohydrodynamics,
- Apart from Chandrasekhar’s limit name at least any two major work done by him?
Ans: The major work done by Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar includes: theory of Brownian motion (1938-1943); theory of the illumination and the polarization of the sunlit sky (1943-1950); theory of the illumination and the polarization of the sunlit sky (1943-1950); the equilibrium and the stability of ellipsoidal figures of equilibrium, partly in collaboration with Norman R. Lebovitz (1961-1968); the general theory of relativity and relativistic astrophysics (1962-1971); and the mathematical theory of black holes (1974- 1983)
- Name the first paper he published at the age of 18, still he was an undergraduate.
Ans: “Compton scattering and the new statistics”
- Name the Research laboratory he worked during World War II?
Ans: Ballistic Research Laboratories at Maryland
Round IX -Name the year he won the award
- Padma Vibhushan
- Henry Draper Medal
- Copley Medal of the Royal Society
- Bruce Medal
- Gordon J.Laing award
- National Medal of Science,USA
- Name the Academy which presents the Nobel Prize in Physics.
T Ans: he Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awards the Nobel Prize in Physics
- What is his mother’s name?
- Which year he won the Nobel Prize?
- What his wife’s name?
Ans: Lalitha Doraiswamy
- Name the discovery for which he won the Nobel Prize
Ans: For his work in the theoretical structure and evolution of stars
- What is his Father’s name?
Ans: Chandrasekhara Subrahmanya Iyer