MARIE CURIE QUIZ – PACK 05
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie decide to pursue her doctorate in?
a) Physical science.
d) Biological science.
2. What does Marie collaborate with Andre Debierne on?
a) Preparing pure radium.
b) Creating a home for her children.
c) Preparing a new lab.
d) Creating Pierre’s dream lab.
3. What is Marie’s primary reason for the decision she makes in regard as to whether to go or stay?
a) Her new lab.
b) Her dead husband.
c) Her children.
d) Her patriotism.
4. How does Manya combat her discouragement?
a) Writing her own books.
b) Earning more and more money.
c) Tutoring the peasants.
d) Doing charity work.
5. Why did Monsieur Sklodovska lose his job?
a) He wasn’t subservient enough.
b) He couldn’t learn to speak Russian.
c) His wife became ill.
d) He was caught speaking Polish.
6. Why do Casimir’s parents oppose the idea of marriage to Manya?
a) They think they are too young to get married.
b) They want him to marry a Russian.
c) Manya’s family does not have enough money.
d) They do not want him to marry a governess.
7. Where does Marie feel truly in her element?
a) Working with the peasants.
b) Her attic apartment.
c) Physics laboratory.
d) With her sister and brother-in-law.
8. Who does Monsieur Sklodovska have an ongoing conflict with?
a) His wife.
b) His colleagues.
c) Russian principal.
d) The Russian Tsar.
9. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
a) Social progress.
b) Self-guided principles.
c) Improving the individual.
10. Marie continues on with her research despite what?
a) Her continued health problems.
b) Her children’s wishes.
c) Her lack of help.
d) Her on-going grief.
11. What decision does Marie come to as the Germans continue to advance?
a) To leave Paris and join her children.
b) To sacrifice herself to save her children.
c) To stay in Paris no matter what.
d) To return to Poland and fight for her home country.
12. What does Marie refuse?
a) Warsaw Prize.
b) French Legion of Honor.
c) Nobel Prize.
d) Home in Sceaux.
13. What are the boys in the opening scene of the story playing with?
a) Toy animals.
c) Wooden blocks.
d) Toy vehicles.
14. What does Manya experience as soon as she leaves her books?
a) A longing to flee her life.
b) A return of her sadness.
c) An anger at the Russians.
d) A desire to help her mother.
15. As Marie Curie reflected back on her life what did she indicate was necessary in order to build a better world?
b) Improving the individual.
c) Self-guided principles.
d) Social progress.
16. What is Manya’s personal ambition?
a) To study in Paris.
b) To help her sister realize her dreams.
c) To help the poor.
d) To become a patriot.
17. How does Manya consider herself intellectually?
a) Average if not less.
c) Below par.
18. How does Manya describe her first post as governess?
19. How does Manya describe her successes with the peasants?
b) Ground breaking.
20. How do her employers treat Manya?
d) With great respect.
21. What is the main area that Manya has found her interest waning in since she arrived in Paris?
b) Family relationships.
d) Young men.
22. How does Marie look back on these years with her exhaustion and chronic worry about money?
a) The worst years of her life.
b) The most surprising years of her life.
c) The most perfect years of her life.
d) The most difficult years of her life.
23. What position does Monsieur Sklodovska accept after his retirement?
a) Teacher of the poor.
b) Director of boarding house.
c) Director of a reform school.
24. Why does Marie need to get up very early in the morning?
a) To go to the market.
b) To do her own chores.
c) To take Pierre to work.
d) To pay the bills.
25. What does Pierre study at the School of Physics and Chemistry in Paris?
a) Crystalline physics.
c) Scientific scales.
26. What caused Pierre’s career to suffer?
a) His location in Paris.
b) His need to always be in control.
c) His attraction to Marie.
d) His idealism.
27. Why do the Curies decide not to patent their discovery?
a) They were refused because Marie is female.
b) They do not need the money.
c) They feel it would be contrary to scientific spirit.
d) They believe that they will not earn respect.
28. What does Marie’s discovery cause to be re-examined?
a) Nature of the universe.
b) Handling of materials.
c) Laws of physics.
d) Treatment of rheumatism.
29. What revives Marie’s nature and fervor to return to work?
a) Desire to find the answer.
b) Love of small children.
c) Husband’s death.
d) A new breakthrough.
30. What does Marie do with the clothes Pierre was wearing when he was killed?
a) She cuts them into pieces for a quilt.
b) She cuts them up and throws them in the fire.
c) She gives them to Bronya to get rid of.
d) She cleans them meticuously.
31. What are the “little Curies”?
a) X-ray machines delivered to new hospitals.
b) Mobile labs that mine radium.
c) Equipped X-ray cars.
d) Cars that haul the wounded.
32. What does Marie refuse?
a) Warsaw Prize.
b) Home in Sceaux.
c) Nobel Prize.
d) French Legion of Honor.
33. What does the committee started by Mrs. Meloney present to Marie?
a) An article about her life.
b) A gram of radium.
c) A new laboratory.
d) A trip to America.
34. What profession does Mrs. William Brown Meloney practice?
a) Labroatory assistant.
b) Magazine editor.
c) Scientist specializing in X-rays.
d) University professor.
35. How does Marie appear to the public according to Eve?
a) A brillant woman.
b) A solitary figure.
c) An impressive orator.
d) A team player.
36. Which of the following children is the youngest?